Signal Strength very low

Spr 16:47 21 Jan 2009

I am using BT Voyager 2500v-2A Router, speed 50Mbps on the task bar it say SIGNAL Strength very low.

Broadband has it own socket so the house phones do not interfere with

I have ran Repair Wireless Network Connection, all I receive Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the fowling action could not be completed

Clearing the DNS cache

Contact the person who manages your network

Is it possible that the Router is on its way out

birdface 16:57 21 Jan 2009

Clearing the DNS cache on a computer is.Command prompt.type in ipconfig /flushdns small gap after ipconfig or it will not work'Ok If it works it will say DNS Cache has been flushed and then you need to reboot your computer.Now whether that helps with Wireless connection I don't know.

Stuartli 18:32 21 Jan 2009
  Spr 23:38 21 Jan 2009

I have tried your advice but there is no change

DieSse 23:56 21 Jan 2009

If the signal strength is very low then you need to improve it at the PC end probably.

Fit a better wireless card, for example - or use a better aerial - or get an independent aerial and try it in different spots to see if there's a better place for it.

What's the distance between PC and router, and what's in the way?

You could also try extending the cable from socket to router, and get the router closer, or just in a better place. Or move the socket to a better place.

3gboosterman 02:21 22 Jan 2009

Poor signal could be due to many reasons and here are a few from me:

Router and PC too far away. (move either or both a bit closer)

to much electrical interference. (place the router somewhere clear of electrical ware)

concrete walls and steel structures obstructing the signal.

loose antenna stick. (or upgrade to a higher gain router antenna which screws in place of the old one)

bad positioning of the router.(maybe mount it higher rather than floor level)

Wrong type of modem cable?

to long a cable. (then use a shorter length cable)

Or what I would do is to have a wired connection to save any wireless hassles.

Spr 10:48 22 Jan 2009

Router is about 3ft from the PC it has been in the same place since it was installed 18months ago.
Cable I'm using is the one that came with the Router

DieSse 13:04 22 Jan 2009

If the PC is 3ft from the user, try using a cable instead of wireless. IMHO wireless seems a bit pointless over such a distance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?