Signal out of Range

Mclearns Bald 23:52 04 Oct 2006

I just installed a game called 'STAR TREK PINBALL' and ran it on Compatability mode for Windows 95 (my OS is XP). The sound works well and even the keyboard commands e.g. if I press certain keys I hear the banging and booming noises of laser guns etc. The only problem is after an introductory video the graphics for playing the actual game do not appear on screen. Instead all I get is the flashing message 'SIGNAL OUT OF RANGE' in a box on top of screen.

Any ideas or solutions?

many thanks

brundle 00:10 05 Oct 2006
  Mclearns Bald 13:13 05 Oct 2006

Yes brundle I came across that last night after I posted this thread. It just goes to show that XP compatability mode is not very reliable. Yet many people (including myself) have put too much faith in it. Due to the many CD ROMs I own that are made for earlier verions of Windows, I was thinking in using an extended hard drive with 98 or Millenium installed on it. Basically the extended hard drive will be for storing data and music files on, but I was thinking in making a partition for using 98 or Millenium and running the rest of it on XP for file storage.

Of course maybe I could have 98 or Millenium on the whole of the extended hard drive, but would the files stored on it be able to interact with the XP system on my C:\? For example could I click on a music file stored on the EHD running on 98 and still be played by the Windows media player on the C:\?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?