$ and ! sign virus - whats it called.

smellideadskin 14:59 12 Aug 2005

Hi guys,

the other day when I booted up I noticed these strange Dollar and Exclamation symbols Flashing on screen, just before Windows comes up. I've been trying to find out just what kind of virus, or other Malware, I have, and what I can do about it - any help would be appreciated.

johnnyrocker 15:02 12 Aug 2005

what sort of anti spyware do you have on board to kick off with?

johnny.

smellideadskin 15:10 12 Aug 2005

Hi johnnyrocker,

I've only got AVG Free (needs must and all that).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:16 12 Aug 2005

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Spyware Sweeper click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Ewido click here

smellideadskin 15:26 12 Aug 2005

I've got Spybot - funny thing though, it's been plying up lately: it's been cleaning up all except 2 items, which it says can't clean, requests a Restart, and asks to be installed on the Startup Registry. The 2 items refer to the BackWeb file in the Registry - when I go in it, it's empty!

johnnyrocker 15:29 12 Aug 2005

re install spy bot as i had that once before and was resolved by that action. follow fruitbats solutions and you should find out you will be having a good clear out.

johnny.

ACOLYTE 15:58 12 Aug 2005

Maybe this will help click here

smellideadskin 18:02 12 Aug 2005

Must dash now - thanks for all your help.

ACOLYTE 18:07 12 Aug 2005

No problem, when you get time maybe you could say what helped you for the silent majority who use the search function.

smellideadskin 12:28 20 Dec 2006

this thing still annoys me, but, thats all. So far nobody has been able to solve this - I understand the need for spyware and anti-virus software, but, in this case it's too late - what I need are ways to get rid of it without resorting to reinstallation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?