"Sign up through proxies is not allowed"!

X™ 17:28 08 Dec 2006

Grr... I'm using Firefox & IE, and using NTL. When I try to sign up for some sites, it keeps saying I'm using a proxy. I am not. I use a "Direct connection to the internet" the only thing I can think of is that NTl is using a proxy, or connecting me via proxy. Is this possible? Thanks.

octal 18:42 08 Dec 2006

I use NTL cable via a set top box. Normally you connect direct to the Internet. I take it you have checked in both the browsers to make sure they are set to connect directly to the Internet and haven't got a proxy address?

Try IP chicken click here and under Advanced see what the Name Address says, it should point to your local server.

I do use a proxy sometimes if I have problems with my local server not allowing me to access some web sites.

octal 18:44 08 Dec 2006

Just as a matter of interest the first part of Name Address should give the location of your local server, in my case spc2-walt indicates the Waltham Park server which is just a short walk along the road from me.

octal 19:06 08 Dec 2006

Sorry to keep posting , but I keep thinking of things that might help you. This site shows how to set up a proxy so it will give an idea where to check click here

X™ 19:26 08 Dec 2006

Thanks but no help. I might phone NTL and ask them. If someone hadn't cancelled Sky, I'd be fine!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone