Shutting Down Vs Leaving PC On!

babybell 13:13 09 Jan 2005

Please could I have some opinions on this long running debate I have with my Father-in-Law. I believe that a PC should be shut down every night, so that errors can be checked and corrected and the PC knows whats what, but the FIL believes that shutting down the computer is damaging to it in long run and he opts to keep his permanently on. What do you guys think is best?

LeadingMNMs 13:17 09 Jan 2005

"errors can be checked and corrected and the PC knows whats what"

If the computer is off, then what to you mean ? How can it check things.

I leave my computer on permanently, the a restart or a couple of hours downtime every couple of days. But this is more to allow it to download and run programs overnight.

I cannot imagine how shutting down the computer will harm it, I would tend to say some downtime to allow the CPU to cool is ideal.

VoG II 13:20 09 Jan 2005

This has been debated time and time again. There are two main arguments (a) leaving it on causes wear and tear so switch it off (b) switching on and off stresses components so leave it on.

It is really a matter of personal preference. Mine stays on all the time, ready for instant access when needed.

babybell 13:24 09 Jan 2005

If an error occurs on your pc, lets say without you realsing, then shutting down and restarting allows the pc to check and correct itself doesn't it, if you did have an error and never rebooted, then this would greatly affect performance. Hence turing it off allows "errors to be checked and corrected and the PC knows whats what"!

Totally-braindead 13:30 09 Jan 2005

I switch mine off if I'll not be using it for several hours, some leave theirs on as Vog says. Its been debated hundreds of times and everyone has an opinion but no one has been able to prove they are right and the others are wrong.

Graham ® 13:33 09 Jan 2005

There is always a fire risk with leaving things on, especially CRT monitors, so don't tell the insurance company.

I always leave my PC on standby.

Taw® 13:39 09 Jan 2005

"so don't tell the insurance company." Graham ® your comments are noted "Internet Insurance Police" :-)
I leave mine on sometimes and sometimes I switch it off, I know that doesn't help but backs up what others say, it is up to the individual, so don't fall out with your Father in Law tell him he is right!! and so are you!!

DrScott 13:42 09 Jan 2005

There is the theory that switching power on and off causes small voltage spikes that over time damage components. But I think that was when computers were not really for the home, and were designed to be left on continuously.

I find if my computer is being a bit temperamental then turning it off and switching back on tends to sort out the probs.

ton 14:12 09 Jan 2005

If you're not going to use the PC then switch it off.

There ARE spikes and surges when its switched on but the components are made to withstand this.

I've owned several PC's in the last 9 or 10 years, have always switched them off, and have never had an electrical component fail.

freaky 14:13 09 Jan 2005

I always turn my off at night in case any ghostly spirits start playing with it!

During the day, when not in use, I click 'Sleep' on my Microsoft Internet Keyboard. The monitor then goes blank, and the Broadband Modem lights stop blinking.

When I want to restart I just the move the mouse or bang the desk.

babybell 15:39 09 Jan 2005

Yea u've got to hate those ghostly spirts, never heard of banging the desk to wake up a pc before. Thanx for all your input, shame there is no hard evidence for a yes or no answer. Still thats life!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?