Shutting Down Problems with Updates

Duncanf 13:34 15 Oct 2010

For some time now I've been plagued with messages regarding having to shutdown the computer to install 'important updates.' The computer says it's installing the updates and needs to shut down which takes for ever. It then reopens to say 'Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes' It then goes automatically to 'Switching off...installing updates.' After an age it reappears with 'The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.' I then have to physically switch it off and it restarts successfully. That sequence has been ongoing for some time. I have Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 and on a Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop. Thanks for any assistance.

northumbria61 14:55 15 Oct 2010

"The user profile service failed to log on" etc - I could suggest you try a "system restore" if you have an idea when the problem occurred and you can restore to a date BEFORE that. Otherwise have a look at this LINK - click here

Duncanf 15:20 15 Oct 2010

Thanks for suggestions. Am trying system restore then will look at the link if needed. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?