Shutdown with Vista?

4mydad 19:02 30 Jul 2008

AM doing this for my Father he has a prob: My comp shuts down for apparant reason. Am usinf Vista premium and the shutdowns have only occured after intalling SP1 and subesquent updates using windows update. Of course this may have nothing to do with the prob!
I have now arrived where the comp boots, enters Vista, finishes loading with all progs OK and then shuts dowm which is wierd. I have XP Pro on a seperate disc + find the same occurs. My question is, is the Motherboard knackered or the power supply? Prior to these shutdowns, Norton was totally upto date and monthly defrag was ok.
My Comp is: Gigabyte board GA-965P-DQ6: DVD 16X +/- RW/RAM Samsung:320GB HDD Samsung:250GB HDD WD:Graphics radeon X1650 XT 256 DDR3:On board sound 4GB Memory:antec 450watt Smart power SUpply E6300 Core2 Duo:Vista Home Premium:XP PRO

Someone must be able to help my Dad. Thanks

mrwoowoo 19:17 30 Jul 2008

I would uninstall service pack 1 to see if it is causing the problem.
Click Start, type Appwiz.cpl in the Start Search box, and then click Appwiz.cpl in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. Click View installed updates.
3. Click Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB936330), and then click Uninstall.
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to complete the uninstall process.

Ditch999 21:18 30 Jul 2008

Download HWMonitor click here and run it to see what temperature your PC is running at. The inportant ones are CPU (E6300) graphics (X1650) and hard disk (Samsung 320gb)

have you been through the event viewer in safe mode?

misery 20:16 31 Jul 2008

Thanks to all who responded to my plea for help, via my daughter.
Ditch999 provided the insight needed. found the fan on the CPU had somehow become loose and therefore wasn't making full contact with the CPU and overheating was the result. Managed to screw the fan back into position and----hey presto all working as it should. Many thnaks to all for your help and advice. B

Ditch999 20:28 31 Jul 2008

LOL
Wish my daughter was as switched on!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Best Free Video Tutorials for Drawing and Painting

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie