Shutdown in Safe Mode???

marchbryant 17:17 03 Apr 2003

After letting the wife loose on my PC the desktop has appeared to change somewhat. The picture quality is worse and the icons look different. My guess is that the computer crashed and she shut it down in some spurious manner so it is now in safe mode. If this is the case, how do I get it back to normal?
Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Diemmess 17:47 03 Apr 2003

You don't say which Windows you are using, but if it happens to be 98 then the simplest way......

Boot up and after the "Press Del to enter BIOS" option is on the screen, press F8 repeatedly until instead of loading Windows normally it will go to a 6 option DOS screen (including safe mode).

Pick "Command prompt only"

Then type scanreg /restore and enter.

Now you will have a list of the last five days when it booted satisfactorily. Choose the date just before things went pear-shaped and Enter.

Follow the prompts and it should be back to normal.

Diemmess 18:02 03 Apr 2003

As well as that last idea, I think it is likely that your video/monitor setting has been changed.

Right click anywhere on a space on your desktop and click Properties.

Now you should be able to look at all the settings and alter any which seem wrong. Do it one step at a time, choosing lower values and checking until you find it.

Try the monitor resolution first, or even check that it is the right monitor. Whenever you can use the option to test before accepting, this is worth doing because if it makes things worse you can back-track.

Lastly it may be worthwhile looking via Control Panel> System> Device Manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks against anything listed there.

Steinman 20:17 03 Apr 2003

If you are using Windows Me or XP you could try System Restore & go back in time to a date when all was ok.

marchbryant 22:12 03 Apr 2003

Many thanks all. It was pretty obvious after all and I just had to change the monitor settings! Thanks for your time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?