Shutdown and Restart Gone

SpookTheBlackCat 18:30 02 Sep 2007

Can anyone help resolve my problem. The menus above have dissappeared from my PC, as have Start , Run and some others. If I hit Cntrl Alt Del, the only options are Logoff, the rest being greyed out. I have tried Safe Mode, Restore, and it comes back saying unable to change the PC settings. I have installed and updated Norton and ran full scan , but still no fix. It is OK if I create a new user and log on as that, but there must be a known solution somewhere......help.......

jimv7 18:35 02 Sep 2007

Try a system restore to before it started.

SpookTheBlackCat 18:37 02 Sep 2007

Tried that as well ..it still does not Restore the PC, thanks anyway

brundle 18:40 02 Sep 2007

Which version of XP & what is the precise wording of the error message ? Does it mention Group Policy?

SpookTheBlackCat 19:20 02 Sep 2007

Thnaks Beta, but how do I get into the registry if I don't have Start Run Regedit?

QuizMan 19:28 02 Sep 2007

Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard while pressing E. This bring up Explorer and Regedit is in the C:\Windows folder.

SpookTheBlackCat 18:54 03 Sep 2007

Thanks for that guys. I now have the Shutdown and Restart options, but still require the Start Run which is not there. By the way Beta, when I tried Windows R it says Im not allowed to do that due to restictions on this PC, but I got in via Quizmans option. I have also since found out that I have been infected by the Hackman.root virus, which I am currently find a solution for.

SpookTheBlackCat 21:12 03 Sep 2007

Thanks to all for your help. Problem solved using Spyware Doctor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?