Shutdown freezes on ME

Sparkly 16:34 19 Nov 2006

Hi people can anyone advise me on this on my second machine running windows ME just lately when i click shutdown the pc has been hanging and i eventually have to power down by the button on the front of the pc.I have seen on other threads that you can go into regedit and alter the settings I.E on XP
1- Start/Run and type Regedit
2- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT CONTROL SET/CONTROL
3- Click on “Control”
4- Select “Wait to kill service timeout”
5- Right click and select “Modify”
6- Set to a lower value than 2000
7- A setting of 200 will be sufficient
i have gone into the settings in regedit on ME but they appear different can anyone advise how to make the shutdown any faster.This has started with no other proggrames being installed or deleted.

VoG II 16:36 19 Nov 2006
  Sparkly 16:47 19 Nov 2006

Thanks VoG thats a help i will go through step by step untill i find the cause.
Cheers.

woodchip 16:55 19 Nov 2006

Try removing Some of the Ticks in MSCONFIG\Startup tab. If you know the Program windows cannot Close just remove that tick. It could also Be a Corrupt Close down Sound Files. You can stop that In Control Panel Sounds. remove the Tick for Shut down sound

woodchip 17:03 19 Nov 2006

Another good plase to look is Start\Help\Troubleshooting\Shutdown Startup Problems

Sparkly 17:48 19 Nov 2006

Hi woodchip removed the tick for the shutdown sound and have shutdown and restarted a number of times this seems to be the culprit as there have been no hangups since.(something so simple eh?)
Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?