Shutdown - excessive Saving Settings time

daba 15:57 07 Oct 2007

Windows 2000 Pro - when the PC shuts down, there is a window which says Saving Your Settings.

This is on-screen for a full minute before the PC then starts to shut-down.

I understand there is a need for disk cahes to be purged, hence the delay, but 60 seconds! All disk activity ceases in a few seconds when the window appears.

Is there a way to reduce the time on this window ?

Clapton is God 16:02 07 Oct 2007

I don't use Win 2000 but this 'fix' is for XP:

1- Start/Run and type Regedit
2- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT CONTROL SET/CONTROL
3- Click on “Control”
4- Select “Wait to kill service timeout”
5- Right click and select “Modify”
6- Set to a lower value than 2000
7- A setting of 200 will be sufficient

Normal setting is 2000 but can safely be reduced to 200 for a quick shutdown. Sometimes in PCs, including my own, an extra nought is added on to make it 20000. Not sure why this happens but when it does it leads to a very long shutdown time.

brundle 16:04 07 Oct 2007

Also, make sure pagefile is not being cleared every time. click here and make sure the value is set to 0

daba 16:15 07 Oct 2007

brundle - ClearPageFileAtShutdown is set to 0 - didn't think it was that anyway as there is no further disk activity after the first second or two.

Clapton is God - Wait to kill service timeout was set to 20000, I knocked a 0 off making it 2000, but it didn't make any difference. Next step is to knock another off and make it 200. I'll go do it now and post back.

daba 16:53 07 Oct 2007

Clapton is God - that setting at 200 has made no difference, I suspect it is something else that is causing the excessive delay

Clapton is God 17:22 07 Oct 2007

What about a bit of basic PC housekeeping using? click here

Also, defrag the HDD.

And (if it applies to Win 2000) use msconfig to disable all unnecessary background programs and processes. This will help click here

VoG II 17:24 07 Oct 2007

msconfig for W2K click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?