Shutdown button

pcolvin00 07:57 19 May 2004

I have a curious problem that has just started for me. When I went to my start meny to shut down my computer, there was no Shut Down button :S. Now to me that is weird. Could someone tell me how to get it back because the only way I can turn my machine off is to press the power button. Also in Task Manager >> Shut Down, the only option that I can get is Switch USer, which I don't need as I have the only Username.
Someone help please.

techpro 09:06 19 May 2004

If you have Win XP Pro, try this. Start the Group Policy Editor (Start, Run, gpedit.msc), navigate to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Start Menu and Taskbar, locate the option "Remove and prevent access to the shut down command" and set it to "Not configured".

pcolvin00 09:14 19 May 2004

Should have mentioned I have XP Home, and also I can't type either :D, loads of typos in my post.

So sorry Techpro but that doesn't work for me. Any other ideas ???

techpro 09:48 19 May 2004

You can do it from the registry, if you're comfortable using the registry editor.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer. If you see a value in the right-hand pane named "NoClose", select it and delete it.

You could alternatively try doing a system restore back to before this happened.

pcolvin00 10:55 19 May 2004

that did the trick, thanks techpro!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?