Shut down Windows ME

DJS-S 19:05 26 Oct 2004

Hi, hope someone can help. When I shut down ME it starts to close as normal but when the screen goes blank the computer hangs with the cursor flashing in the top left corner. Have tried leaving the computer for a long while but it made no difference. This started to happen about 2 weeks after I installed ME (clean install).

When I power back on I always get the harddrive check come on. If I warm restart at any time it is fine and I have updated and done a full virus check.

Any info much appreciated,

thanks

Duncan

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:55 26 Oct 2004

Try putting ME CD in drive

type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, windows will scan and replace missing / corrupt system files. This may cure your problem.

DJS-S 20:28 26 Oct 2004

Thanks for the help but the file does not appear to exist. Have tried to find using the search facility on c: and on d: (where ME CD is) but the only file that is found is sfc.dll but I dont think this is the one I need.

VoG II 20:33 26 Oct 2004

No, there is no SFC in Windows ME, unfortunately.

click here may help you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:41 26 Oct 2004

Sorry my mistake

sidecar sid 23:19 26 Oct 2004

What anti virus are you using?

DJS-S 17:55 27 Oct 2004

Using the free AVG antivirus checker.

DJS-S 18:08 27 Oct 2004

Have disabled scandisk after bad shutdown through msconfig advanced options. Not really a good idea but it does save the trouble when booting up. I am pretty sure that the shut down is speed related and the cache is not being saved options do not 'remember' their last positions - eg the run command reverts always back to the command when I last warm restarted and the shutdown/bootup sounds are never remembered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?