shut down /start up laptop and printer or scanner

Guady 14:06 10 Oct 2010

I have a new laptop but am still using my previous wired printer and also wired scanner. My question is: Does it matter in which order I switch on the 3 parts? Should I connect everything and then switch on laptop etc or switch on the laptop and then the printer & scanner(as when connecting for the first time to the new Win7 laptop to get the drivers). Also what about any particular order to shut down? Having got the things set up I really don't want to mess them up! Thanks

Ashrich 14:22 10 Oct 2010

I don't think it matters at all , I never turn either my printer or scanner off , although have a look in the printer properties , some ( Canon ) have an auto turn off after a certain time , sending a document to the printer turns it on again .

Ashley

Taff™ 14:22 10 Oct 2010

The first thing to do is get the Windows 7 drivers for both these downloaded from the manufacturers websites. Drivers generally need to be installed before the peripherals are connected.

If there aren`t drivers available for Windows 7 you need the latest XP Versions and see if they work in what`s called "Compatibility Mode" under Windows 7.

Once installed you shouldn`t have a problem in what order you shut down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?