shut down

podlod 14:41 16 Aug 2010

Hi, I tried over the weekend to shut down via the screen but was unable too, and I had to eventually terminate my pc by switching off the pc itself. When I eventually came online again and tried again to finish by switching off again, it repeated the same action as before. I eventually carried out a system restore and it worked ok, but next time I might not be so lucky, could you please explain to me as to what I must do to alleviate the prob, thank you. Please explain in layman's terms.

Clapton is God 15:29 16 Aug 2010

This won’t alleviate the problem but it may prevent aggravation in the future.

If your PC is telling you that it’s about to die, make sure NOW that you have a reliable back-up of all your files and other data.

birdface 18:26 16 Aug 2010

Go into Task Manager and shut it down from there.

podlod 08:01 17 Aug 2010

Hi, thanks for your response to my prob. I do back everything up on 2 external HD, but what do you mean in saying my pc is about to die? surely my pc is not on the 'way out' because of this shutting off prob.

MAJ 11:05 17 Aug 2010

It's unlikely that your PC is on it's 'way out'. It's more likely that there was an application that hadn't terminated properly, it can happen occasionally, sometimes with malware, so make sure to do all your antivirus/antimalware scans and clear out all your Temporary Internet Files and Temporary files. Mbam click here and CCleaner click here can help with that last bit.

lotvic 13:41 17 Aug 2010

Mine does that now and again. I wait about 5 mins then I have to shut down by holding in the power button on tower for about 5/10 seconds.
Been doing it on average 3 or 4 times a year for last 3 years. Doesn't seem to have any problems otherwise.
I put it down to an (unknown to me) application not terminating properly. I just 'live with it' as it boots up normally next time I switch on.

podlod 10:23 18 Aug 2010

Hi again, thanks again for the info and I have ccleaner, and Malware so I am pretty well covered that way. Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?