Should Routers be switched Off Now &Then?

oldbeefer2 18:39 07 Jul 2007

The reason I ask is my 'up to 8mb' ADSL has become very slow recently (371kbps this afternoon). I rebooted the router and the next test showed 3591kbps and the next 4562! All in the space of 10mins. So, if switching off and on was the reason for the improvement (persuading the kit in the exchange to re-think the connection condition?), how often should it be done? Thanks as always.

Technotiger 18:43 07 Jul 2007

Switching off the router for 10 seconds or more resets it. I have done this several times. Also I switch off everything at the end of the day, including my router.

Mad Mick 18:44 07 Jul 2007

Advice by BT customer help is as follows:-

Every time you switch off or re-connect your router or modem, your broadband service refreshes your connection speed. Note, however, that where this has increased, your throughput speed will not increase for a further 3 days. This is a to minimise the risk of data loss which would occur if the exchange tried to send data down your phone line at a faster rate than it is capable of handling.

To avoid this happening, your exchange waits for three days of consistently higher connection speeds before it will increase the speed at which it passes data down your line. Also note that if your connection speed dips for any reason during the three-day period (eg. due to electrical interference or a fault), the exchange will re-start the three-day period.

For these reasons we recommend you leave your router switched on all the time, and avoid measuring your throughput speed until three days after you last switched on or re-booted your router or modem.

Ikelos 19:21 07 Jul 2007

we live and learn, my BT went down to a crawl, messed around with everything on the two laptops, gave up in the end and got it touch, via email, to BT, and what did they say, switch of the router and let it reset, I had my doubts, anyway I tried it, and lo and behold, back up to speed, nice one BT...

Al94 20:11 07 Jul 2007

I always understood that you levae it off for at least a minute and a half, that's what Nildram tech support always advised.

Technotiger 20:42 07 Jul 2007

Ten seconds is all it needs.

oldbeefer2 20:45 07 Jul 2007

Intersting - thank you all.

Technotiger 20:49 07 Jul 2007

Cheers ... have a good weekend.

oldbeefer2 21:21 07 Jul 2007

I would, except my daughter's laptop is playing up again. Standby for a new thread tomorrow!

in 12 months my homehub has twice become painfully slow, the 10 second turn off worked both times. it's meant to be fixed now, it was a problem with the software updates blocking something so bt tell me. last happened a couple of months ago.

woodchip 22:25 07 Jul 2007

Only turn mine off if there is a sign of crash bang Wallop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone