Should a router work slower than a modem?

howard64 21:27 27 Feb 2008

My router is being replaced under warranty by Netgear. A really good company to do business with. While awaiting the replacement I am using my old adsl modem. The router consistenly gave me a connection speed of 4.5 Mbps verified by various on line tests. The adsl modem is working at 6.3Mbps again confirmed externally. Should a router work slower than a modem?

Dipso 21:50 27 Feb 2008

No, but different hardware interprets your line differently. USB modems are actually very good it's just they can have power and driver issues and limit the ability to home network.

It would be interesting to see the comparison in line stats between your modem and router. If you want to find out how to access them click here

DieSse 22:19 27 Feb 2008

Different products can handle lines differently, depending on how good their design is - particularly noticeable at longer line lengths (distance from the exchange).

At critically long distances, some products may work whilst others refuse to - I've seen this a number of times - and in these cases, with the routers/modems I saw, the routers were actually better then the modems.

Also - since your router clearly has had some problems, you may even find the new one will work better. Fingers crossed!

howard64 22:26 27 Feb 2008

thanks Dipso but the prog downloaded ok but will not run and obviously without the netgear router I cannot look at the stats for it. DieSse it would be nice to think that the new one would be faster than the old one. I live closer to my exchange than my son in law but he regularly gets 8Mbps he is with BT and I am with talktalk. I wonder if BT slightly throttle any line not with them? I will mark this as resolved. Thanks again.

Dipso 16:23 28 Feb 2008

FWIW you can't get 8 Meg from BT at the moment, 7150kbps throughput is tops.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?