Should I use a compatible psu

PC840 13:10 27 Aug 2010

with my dell 1750 laptop. I think I read some where that there my be problems.

woodchip 14:02 27 Aug 2010

All you need check is its same external Size and Watts are same or more than fitted, plus that as all the same plugs to connect all hardware

PC840 16:10 27 Aug 2010

Thanks for the reply. It's more or less what I was thinking!

DieSse 16:35 27 Aug 2010

Be aware that cheap Chinese power bricks can be very low quality and have badly regulated outputs. If you use a compatible rather than the manufacturers own replacement, make sure it's a reputable make from a reputable place - otherwise you might store up problems for the future.

woodchip 16:40 27 Aug 2010

As above a cheap one can take out other hardware like motherboard, drives, and cpu if it blows

PS a good indicator is if its heavy its more likely to be a good one

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 27 Aug 2010

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

Mr Mistoffelees 17:15 27 Aug 2010

PC840 wants a laptop psu, not an atx one!

PC840 18:05 27 Aug 2010

Thanks for all your efforts! 'wants a laptop psu, not an atx one!' Infact I was considering a 12v car/mains psu, but just recieved an email from Maplins and their range is not compatible. I saw a Trust (12v only) the other day, any opinions on them?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:23 27 Aug 2010

Hmm I must learn to read :0)

PC840 10:17 28 Aug 2010

bump^

DieSse 10:35 28 Aug 2010

"I saw a Trust (12v only) the other day"

Link?

Trust are a reputable company - but we'd need to know what you saw to comment on it.

Laptops need a regulated supply of the correct voltage and current capacity, with the correct sized connector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists and their beautiful posters for WCRS' Pride in London campaign

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?