Should I upgrade my IBM Aptiva or buy new?

Quince 14:47 29 May 2007

I have a IBM Aptiva, 5.5 years old, Pentium 3 795Mh, 128mb, 19.5 gb disk (plenty of free space), USB1, Win98SE.

This box is ultra-reliable, built like a tank. Except for wearing out 2 mice, the hardware has not blinked from new, including a house move.

Should I upgrade to XP or scrap it & get a new computer? Increasingly, I find there are things I cannot do, and I would like a DVD writer and Ethernet & Firewire ports. More storage may also be needed.

The cost of a 98 to XP upgrade looks extortionate at around £80 (more than plain XP), and overall I would need to spend well over £100. This sounds silly against the price of a new machine, but is it worth it to buy time - might new PC's be better & cheaper in a year's time?

It seems a matter of judgement. I would appreciate an opinion.

Technotiger 14:57 29 May 2007

Hi, my personal opinion is that you should buy new, plenty of options at click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:18 29 May 2007

click here for £329 inc. VAT, delivery, Vista and 19" tft monitor it is a no-brainer.

G

€dstowe 15:19 29 May 2007

Tarting up an old machine to run like a modern one is rarely successful and usually involves a lot of expenditure - upgrade one part and another needs upgrading to match, and so on. In the end you will have a machine that is patched up and not very good.

Best to go for a new one.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:32 29 May 2007

Agree prices are so low. its cheaper to buy new. keep the old one as backup and storage.

keef66 16:17 29 May 2007

new pc's will always be better and cheaper next month, never mind next year.

My advice is to buy a new one, go for something based on an Intel Core 2 Duo, with Vista Home Premium, and all the components, ports and connectors you desire. As GANDALF <|:-)> points out, Dell are hard to beat at the moment (possibly because of the Dollar / Pound exchange rate?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?