should I upgrade? - If so...what?

hammer_time 16:46 01 Feb 2010

Hey all,

New to this forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place or anything.

Basically I'm seeking some advice about the health of my current PC set up. Been having some problems over the last 6 months or so and I think it might be on its last legs.

I bought it in 2005 from currys, so just a stock model when new. It's a packlard bell, I think from the imedia range. I have upgraded several aspects of it over the past 5 years, here are the machines details:

NEC Computers int. P5S800-VM motherboard
SiS 661FX/GX chipset
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz
2x1048 GB Samsung ddr pc3200 RAM (recent upgrade)
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (upgraded not long after I got the pc)
Seagate 80GB hard drive ATA
Samsung 250GB harddrive ATA (recently installed)
NEC DVD-RW Drive
Extensible 802.11b/g wireless card (upgrade)
Soundblaster Audigy Live! 5.1 surround card (upgrade)
Running Windows XP sp2

phew - mouthful! Anyways, I know its very old in pc terms and wasn't amazing to begin with. About 6 months ago it was really starting to slow down so I stuck in the new sticks of RAM, doubling my previous amount. I also put in a new hard drive at the same time as it was getting full in there. The extra RAM seemed to help somewhat, but not as much as I imagined it would have. I still have periods where the machine really struggles with a few things going on at once etc

Recently it has been turning itself off randomly, which I have now discovered is due to the cpu being too hot - I checked it out and its running at 108 degrees C - much too hot. The fan seems to be working fine though and is still registering a good speed.

Anyways - thoughts and advice on what I should/could be doing with my system to improve things....whether that be get a new one!

Eventually I'd love to get Windows 7 and possibly a blu ray drive and just have a pc that I use and have it do its job well, which this one can, but then sometimes it just doesn't want to...

Thanks

jamesd1981 16:57 01 Feb 2010

hey hammer what kind of budget you goin for, and are you able to build yourself or you looking to buy from retailer ideally if your looking for windows 7 id suggest 64 bit version, you will want a minimum of intel duo core 2.7ghz but that should be minimum, and a motherboard capable of taking ddr3 memory which id say 3gb minimum.

birdface 17:02 01 Feb 2010

Thursday at Aldi's

click here
Not sure if it is what you are looking for but worth a look.
The 3 year warranty comes in handy.
You usually have to be there early as they don't last long if you are thinking about it.
19" monitor for £ 89.99 on the same day .

Technotiger 17:03 01 Feb 2010

Hi, and welcome to the best Forum on the net, you are certainly in the right place.

Simple things first, to help speed-up, though you may have already done this ... a thorough clean out of dust/fluff etc from inside the case, especially around CPU, Fans and Grills. Then get rid of any software not used for years, bound to be some in there somewhere, and the usual thing of Deleting Temp files and cookies etc.

That's for starters, no doubt others will come on and add there three-pennyworth!!

birdface 17:18 01 Feb 2010

Try Winaso optimizer Trial Edition.
This will only repair 10 items at a time but it will make you computer run faster.
You may have a couple of hundred problems but when it has finished fixing those it is easy to use afterwards.
First time I used it was like using a new computer again.
Well worth a try.You have nothing to loose.
Maybe some of your drivers needing updated.
by the time you put in a new Motherboard.PSU and Hard Drive you may be cheaper buying a new computer and keeping the old one as a spare or whatever.

birdface 17:23 01 Feb 2010

A good selection of things to try from Fruit Bat from another thread.

click here

hammer_time 12:19 02 Feb 2010

thanks for the advice guys.

I'm getting itchy just to get a new one to be honest, and that aldi one sounds perfect, but I just can't afford it at the moment.

I keep getting a runtime error when I try to run the Winaso - downloaded it a few times with no luck...

I'm going to open it up today, give it a clean out, then do a disc clean up and defrag etc. About the best I can do I guess.

GaT7 12:27 02 Feb 2010

"I'm getting itchy just to get a new one to be honest, and that aldi one sounds perfect, but I just can't afford it at the moment."

What sort of budget do you have? G

------------------------------------------

"...if your looking for windows 7 id suggest 64 bit version, you will want a minimum of intel duo core 2.7ghz but that should be minimum, and a motherboard capable of taking ddr3 memory which id say 3gb minimum."

Where did that come from? I'm running Win7 64-bit (RC) quite comfortably on a single core 2.2Ghz AMD CPU & 1Gb of DDR1 RAM. Not using it for anything too heavy, but it does all right. G

hammer_time 16:47 02 Feb 2010

"What sort of budget do you have? G"

- At the moment nothing really - whatever I could sell the parts of this one for haha!

In a few weeks I get a uni bursury so could maybe spare £100 and then in april I get my last student loan installment so that's when I'd be looking to spend more money.

My story has taken a turn now though...today I opened it up, cleaned out all the dust/fluff etc. cleared all temp files and internet history's and the like and also changed some of the startup programs so its faster to boot up. All seemed to be going well, the cpu was cooler, everything was noticably quicker and quieter. Then the pc just started completely freezing when I was browsing the web. I tried a few times and the same thing happened. I decided to do a system restore to a couple of days ago but it has happened a couple of times since....getting very worried now.

Anyways, what is the most cost effective way of replacing parts/the pc as a whole.

Am i best buying seperate parts and building myself or buying a ready made tower from somewhere (ir so any recommendations) - don't really want to go beyond £4/500 total.

Thanks

hammer_time 16:47 02 Feb 2010

"What sort of budget do you have? G"

- At the moment nothing really - whatever I could sell the parts of this one for haha!

In a few weeks I get a uni bursury so could maybe spare £100 and then in april I get my last student loan installment so that's when I'd be looking to spend more money.

My story has taken a turn now though...today I opened it up, cleaned out all the dust/fluff etc. cleared all temp files and internet history's and the like and also changed some of the startup programs so its faster to boot up. All seemed to be going well, the cpu was cooler, everything was noticably quicker and quieter. Then the pc just started completely freezing when I was browsing the web. I tried a few times and the same thing happened. I decided to do a system restore to a couple of days ago but it has happened a couple of times since....getting very worried now.

Anyways, what is the most cost effective way of replacing parts/the pc as a whole.

Am i best buying seperate parts and building myself or buying a ready made tower from somewhere (ir so any recommendations) - don't really want to go beyond £4/500 total.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?