Should I upgrade to 8Mb broadband?

Diodorus Siculus 15:58 15 Oct 2006

I've heard of people having problems with upgrading to 8Mb broadband and am wondering if I should do it.

I'm with BTConnect at the moment and don't envisage changing but wonder if the upgrade will be problematic.

I am going away tomorrow for about 10 days so if I order now, it might have all the teething problems sorted when I come back.

If I do upgrade, I have to agree to a further one year contract.

Any thoughts welcome as always, Dio.

User-312386 16:06 15 Oct 2006

what are you on at the moment?

I have Telewest 10MB and have never looked back

However, i do download quite a lot

What will you use it for?

Diodorus Siculus 16:09 15 Oct 2006

I have the BTConnect 2Mb unlimited and use it for general surfing, listening to broadcasts from various countries and occasional Linux downloads.

My main concern is the problems people have encountered...

woodchip 16:30 15 Oct 2006

The only benefit of a fast connection is If you stream Video or sound also lots of downloads otherwise it's not worth it. A, 1 or 2Mb is fast enough.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 15 Oct 2006

If you go 8MB will they cap your downloads?

Diodorus Siculus 16:34 15 Oct 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/\; no the terms and conditions remain the same. The only provisio is that I sign up for a one year extension to my contract.

Pineman100 16:41 15 Oct 2006

When you say the terms remain the same, does this include the cost? If so, I can't really see that you've got much to lose.

However, if the cost is going to increase, you may very well find that the extra money won't actually give you much improvement in your connection speed.

ISP's all use that magic phrase "UP TO XMB speed". From what I hear, very few people who sign up for 8MB actually get anything like that speed.

phil46 16:41 15 Oct 2006

I have an UP 8MB with Fast,my exchange can handle 4.5mb max i'm getting 4.6MB on speed checks so i can't complain i use toget 1.2mb with Freenetname.

Diodorus Siculus 16:45 15 Oct 2006

As I say, it's the potential for problems with the upgrade that concerns me. But if these have been ironed out for most people, then I will go ahead.

spuds 17:17 15 Oct 2006

Might be worth a mention, but possibly worth checking that it is a 12 month contract BT are offering you. A friend as just been informed by BT, that BT are commencing or trying to increase contract times to 18 months minimum, so as to bring it in line with other ISP's like Talk Talk.

Diodorus Siculus 17:21 15 Oct 2006

spuds; thanks for the warning.

I've been through the ordering procedure up the final confirmation and it will be 12 months from October 23rd 2006 which is the date of the regrading of the line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?