Best phone camera 2017
My daughter has a low spec laptop in her room which she uses for surfing, and watching DVD's. The battery has long since died and as the lappy is not required to be mobile I'm not inclined to pay £60 odd for a new one. My question is; is there any advantage in removing the battery from the machine. For example would it run cooler? Or does the battery need to be in place for some wiggly-amps type reason?
Thanks skidzy, I tried to search the forums but i keep getting an error message, is it just me?
No its not you,the search function has been down for a while now.click here
and i dont think its the only thread about the search function.
But common sense (to me) says; try it and see.
If you stop and think about it, the laptop has an external power supply that supplies low voltage DC to the computer. That's where the wiggly amps change to straight ones!
As far as I can see, there are only two likely outcomes:
1. The laptop will fail to start, therefore confirming you do need a battery in the circuit.
2. It will start normally.
With all the recent publicity on battery failures causing fires, I can only see it would be a bonus if it will run without the battery. Battery's do degrade over time, so my instinct would be to try it.
Having said that, I found this. click here for some more information on battery's and one part which says: No!
The reason being (they claim) the battery can act as a big capacitor, protecting the laptop from voltage surges. My view would be, if it will run, protect it via a standard mains surge protector.
Thanks for that. I have indeed tried it in the past for short periods (2-3 minutes) and am content that the machine will function. My concerns over a longer period of time are more in line with the stuff you have mentioned at the end of your post.
My laptop (an Acer, now 3 years old)came with instructions that the battery should be fully charged and then run down (NOT connected to mains supply) a couple of times from new as this would be good for the battery. I have also followed the Acer instruction that I should NOT keep it plugged into the mains while the battery was inside as this caused trickle charging which is not good for the battery.
I fully charge my battery (ready for use on the rareish occasions that I need to use the laptop away from a mains supply); then I remove the battery and use mains supply only.
The life of my battery, when I need to use it, is still much as it was when the laptop was new.
By contrast a friend who keeps battery inserted but runs on mains now finds his battery lasts only 10 mins! His is same age as mine, though it's a Compaq; but it seemsto me to prove the point.
So take the battery out and run it on mains; it'll be fine.
Evesham recommended that I should remove the battery from my Voyager notebook.
Thanks for the responses. I'm content with the fact that my battery is dead and i'm not going to replace it. I'll now try running the laptop without a battery and see if it perhaps benefits from it, i.e. less heat, less fan etc?
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.