Should I Purchase Anti Virus & Firewall Protection

gcs_uk 19:15 20 Mar 2003

Is there any reason that I should purchase Anti Virus & Firewall protection such as that offered by the likes of Norton etc or is the firewall built into XP and freeware anti virus such as Grisoft sufficient.

I only use the XP firewall and the Grisoft product which I update ona regular basis.

Now I am on broadband this subject seems to be on my mind more.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers

powerless 19:17 20 Mar 2003

You can keep your AVG.

Get a firewall that potects from both directions.

click here its also free.

gcs_uk 19:19 20 Mar 2003

What do u mean protects from both directions

kuhbler 19:19 20 Mar 2003

I've been using AVG for a year or so and it seems good so far. I haven't had a virus yet.

I've also just started using Sygate firewall click here which I'm using as an alternative to Zonealarm.

This is free as well. It is worth getting as you can monitor what is connecting to the net and you can allow or deny programs as you wish.

MAJ 19:21 20 Mar 2003

You're safer with a firewall other than the XP firewall as it only stops incoming traffic, not outgoing. I don't have BB yet (spit at BT) but the free ZoneAlarm firewall seems to be sufficient. AVG(Grisoft)is also perfectly good.

kuhbler 19:21 20 Mar 2003

I guess he means protects from incoming attacks and stops information from going out such as from stuff like certain windows applications and more malicious stuff like Trojans.

gcs_uk 19:23 20 Mar 2003

thanks a lot for all the help - must be a record had my original question posted and resolved in a matter of minutes.

cheers all

powerless 19:25 20 Mar 2003

XP's firewall only protects you from the inbound - Data being sent to your computer.

It wont protect you from outbound - Dat being sent from your computer. It intercepst this and queries it and asks you if you want to allow it. Simply put your Internet Explorer. The firewall will detect this and ask you if you want to allow to acces the internet. This is innocent, but if you have any nasty programs on your computer it poses a secruity threat. So when this threat tries to acces the internet, your firewall tells you and from that you can get rid of it.

Just using XP's firewall - something nasty could be accessing the internet, XP's friewall will not know and you also will not.

wetterfugal™ 19:37 20 Mar 2003

I would suggest that you use the free AVG and ZoneAlarm they are both very popular I used them for a while until I got Norton Works which comes with Norton Anti Virus but I will probably go back to AVG when the subscription is required to continue with Norton. I recommend that you don't use XP.

I would not spend money on software that you have to subscribe £10 or $15 to every year.

You can spend money if you think that you will be secure but give a thought to the people that can put a man on the moon but can't keep hackers out of their computers. (Or the White House)

flecc 21:11 20 Mar 2003

If you don't want ZoneAlarm's tendency to annoy at times, the Sysgate Personal Firewall is also free to personal users and comes highly recommended by GRC and others. It's extremely easy to configure and gets on with the job without bothering you.

flecc 21:12 20 Mar 2003

Not Sysgate but Sygate:-

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?