Should I power Down....

Chrisann 14:00 21 Jan 2003
  Chrisann 14:00 21 Jan 2003

This is my question: When I leave my computer for a while switched on I have a Screensaver which comes on but I do not go into Standby or anything....I tried going into Standby a couple of times but when returning to the computer nothing worked and I had to switch off via the processor so now I just leave it.
Firstly is it o.k.to do this...and secondly am I using more electric this way.

Chrisann.

Tog 14:15 21 Jan 2003

Yes it's OK to leave it on but you'd do well to use a surge protector for the mains in and your internet connection.

Yes it uses more electricity.

skeletal 14:37 21 Jan 2003

I have found Windows is very un-reliable when powering up after standby, so I do much as you do. The slight difference is my screen saver is the one that make the screen go blank. This will save a tiny amount of electricity and very slightly prolong the monitor life.

I leave the computer on all day, but turn it off overnight. This seems to be a reasonable comprimise to all the arguments on this topic!

Skeletal

©®@$ђ 14:47 21 Jan 2003

if you want to investigate the actual problem causing standby not to wakeup

you should troubleshoot power managment

if you have windows 98

click here

Djohn 14:49 21 Jan 2003

Leave mine on all the time, just switch the monitor off before I go to bed, or if I am not using it for a long period in the day.

Chrisann 15:46 21 Jan 2003

Thankyou all for answering my question Yes I do have a surge protector and don't leave the computer on over night or during severe storms. It is Windows 2000 edition but if others don't power down then I guess it is o.k. Thanks again..
Chrisann.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?