Should I Panic? Lappy Crashed Badly

AngeTheHippy 18:34 26 Jan 2011

Evenin' Chaps,
Now this has NEVER happen before, but I wanna just run it past you for your thoughts please. I was using Skype (Browser open and email client open) and all of a sudden the screen froze then the Lappy just powered down. Black screen. Totally off. Pressed on/off to start, got the choice to 'start recovery' the HDD started spinning but after about 20 secs it stopped dead and lights went off. Tried it another 2 times the same thing happened. Tried it again then it went into 'recovery' and asked whether I wanted to to a system restore. 'Yes', this took about 7 minutes in total and now it's up and running again. I looked in the Event Viewer but don't understand what it's telling me. Around the time it crashed, it's showing Event ID's 4625, 900, 1531 and 1003.

Can anyone tell me please what might have happened to this Lappy? And should I go into deep panic mode?

Thanks

Ange
x

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:03 26 Jan 2011

4625: An account failed to log on
it documents each and every failed attempt to logon to the local computer regardless of logon type, location of the user or type of account.

event id 900 These are events associated with SPPSVC service startup An application may call SL API, will cause the service to wake up.

1003 The Windows Directory Service database could not be initialized and returned error <error code>. Unrecoverable error, the directory can't continue.

I would suspect you would get all of these on a freeze or power down anyway

What you need to know is why it powered down but without a BSOD error code it hard to tell

control panel >> system and security >> system >> advanced system settings >> startup and recovery settings >> untick 'auto restart' box

will stop windows from restarting on a BSOD

AngeTheHippy 19:09 26 Jan 2011

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\, Many thanks. I didn't actually get a BSOD - it just immediately went OFF - black screen...

x

AngeTheHippy 19:11 26 Jan 2011

Sorry, it's the fact that it wouldn't carry on trying to load but just 'died' the 3 times that's worrying me. It's 2 years old next month, and I am a heavy user of it.

A

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 26 Jan 2011

I you back up all you important data while you can just to be on the safe side.

AngeTheHippy 19:22 26 Jan 2011

Must've felt 'summat in me water' Fruit Bat /\0/\, I bought an external HDD just after Christmas and have backed up to that already... 8-)

Ange

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone