Should I lower my security level for a download?

otubby1 15:13 09 Jun 2003

Now then, there's a thing! I have never had a problem downloading a file... with one exception!

Cheyanne Bitware!

I have tried to get this faxing (correctly spelt F.E. LOL) utility for some time now, because I used to have, and use, it in days before broadband.

For the last couple of weeks, I have tried to download it at least a couple of dozen times without success. It starts to transfer, then stops almost immediately every time. I would like a couple of opinions, please.

Is the university workstation in the Netherlands, that is attacking my machine with a ping, likely to cause me problems if I lower my security level for this download? Or should I go out and buy it? Even though it would break my heart to do so LOL.

Belatucadrus 16:48 09 Jun 2003

If you can't download bitware, try CallCentre click here

Megatyte 17:00 09 Jun 2003

Where are you trying to download from? Try this link. It worked for me.

click here

If you still have problems try using a download accelerator. GetRight usually downloads problem files without any trouble.

click here

AH

otubby1 17:22 09 Jun 2003

Belatucadrus, that is not the way I want to do it. I want to do it direct from my machine like I used to, even though I'm now on Broadband, but thanks for the link.

Megatyte: It was spyfind that I was at, and I think that is the trouble... the site! I don't have any problems with any other download so I don't think I need an accelerator, although I have used them in the past when I was on dialup. Again, thanks anyway for the link.

Megatyte 17:48 09 Jun 2003

Try GetRight. At least then you can pick up any broken download.

No problem with SpyFind. I've just downloaded Bitware again, no probs.

AH

otubby1 17:52 09 Jun 2003

A few have said that. I think it must be my overprotective AV :)

Although it is only set on normal, it doesn't let anything suspicious through.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?