should i leave it switched on?

mkennyd 14:43 09 Mar 2009

Dear PC Members.
I have my PC set for automatic updates at 3.00 am Plus my defragment set for the same time every wednesday. My question is, Is do i have to leave my computer switched on overnight as how else would updates download. May sound like a silly question but i would like to know how it works without power.
Thanks
Mike.

birdface 14:48 09 Mar 2009

If you wanted to run you updates and defrag you would need to leave your computer switched on.

mkennyd 15:05 09 Mar 2009

buteman
thanks for your reply.
the update set at 3.00am is reccommended by microsoft, apparently so as not to miss out on important updates,so iv'e read.
why would anyone want to leave the power on night after night just for that.
just the thought of my eleccy bill ticking away freaks me out.
So what does everybody else do. Run updates whilst working at the same time during the day.
This question is not directed at you buteman so other suggestions please.

Pine Man 15:12 09 Mar 2009

Set windows update to 'notify you when there are updates' BUT not to download them. When you are notified that there are updates YOU can decide when you want to download them.

woodchip 15:19 09 Mar 2009

I only update when it suits me, I have mine set to Manual. And Defrag does no need doing like win 98se did does

mkennyd 15:20 09 Mar 2009

Thanks Pine man
Iv'e just had a look through update settings, which i must admit, did'nt know existed. I have set it to your instruction, so thankyou for a more constructive answer.
Mike.

birdface 15:28 09 Mar 2009

Most Microsoft Updates are the second Tuesday of every month.[To-morrow night]So I run mine manually then and only download the updates that I want.
Unfortunately Microsoft throw in a few updates that are not needed so if doing it automatically do it the way Pine Man says. You can run the defrag any time I do mine once every month or so but some do it every day.

laurie53 20:32 09 Mar 2009

And some, I'm afraid, do it about once a year, or when I remember!

Technotiger 20:37 09 Mar 2009

I have the paid-for version of Diskeeper, so in fact I never need to need to even think about defrag - all done automatically, with no assistance from me, other than the initial set-up, done ages ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?