Should I invest in an 108Mbps wireless router?

michaeldod 07:38 28 Sep 2008

Hi,

I am moving home soon and wanted to know if it is worth investing in a 108Mbps wireless ADSL router to replace my current 54Mbps router.

Assuming that:
- two computers are connected to the internet at the same time
- for arguments sake we receive the full 8Meg broadband speed from the service provider
- that both computers and the router will all be within 20 meters of each other

Are we likely to notice an improvement in connection to the internet speed by using an 108Mbps wireless router compared to a 54Mbps one?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:48 28 Sep 2008

Are we likely to notice an improvement in connection to the internet speed by using an 108Mbps wireless router compared to a 54Mbps one?

Yes if using two machines on the net at the same time.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:47 28 Sep 2008

Unless you are copying files by wire, between computers, it will make no difference at all to your Net speed. You will never reach anywhere near 54mps for your internet connection and even if you connect 2 computers you will notice no difference. Save your money (buy an external HD instead, which will be much more useful) and stick with 54mps, unless you are a mad LAN gamer and then you would be using wire in any case.

G

tigertop2 11:19 28 Sep 2008

Gandalf is right in my experience. My wife and I have 4 wireless PCs and a wired up desktop, often all in use at the same time. I have never had any cause to be concerned about internet speeds. If I had I would have changed my router to the latest wireless 'g' service.

ambra4 12:49 28 Sep 2008

“Is it worth investing in a 108Mbps wireless ADSL router to replace my current 54Mbps router”

Using a build in normal wireless card or a standard USB wireless adapter to connect to a 108Mbps,

125Mbps, 300Mbps, wireless router will still only connect at 54Mbps

You must also purchase a separate 108Mbps, 125Mbps, 300Mbps, USB adapter or PCI card for

each wireless device you want to connect at that speed from the same company as the router

In other words Dlink 108Mbps router and Dlink 108Mbps wireless card or USB adapter

Using a Dlink 108Mbps Router with a Buffalo AirStation Wireless 125Mbps USB Adapter

Will not connect at 108Mbps but at 54Mbps

Each company have there own system and software to increases the connect speed

Dlink system is a normal 54Mbps system with difference software to get 108Mbps

The same apply for the Buffalo AirStation 125Mbps Wireless system

brundle 15:16 28 Sep 2008

Wireless is half duplex and no two machines can communicate with the router itself at the same time (unlike connections in a wired system) so the actual speed is less than stated. However, with an 8mbps connection you'll not notice any dip in performance as far as the internet is concerned.

FatboySlim71 09:28 05 Oct 2008

108 mbps gives a longer wireless range compared to 54 mbps if I'm not mistaken.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?