Should I get a used company computer for parts?

cjkoers 13:44 29 Jul 2014
Answered

My company is selling their 7 year old computers for 25 dollars so I figured I would pick one up and use the parts to make a better computer. I was hoping to use the case, fan and power supply, and put in a new motherboard, processor, graphics card and anything else I might need.

The problem is that I am worried that the case is "purpose built" from Dell, and therefore couldn't fit a new motherboard. Or perhaps the power supply is purpose built for what they need, so if I add anything, I will draw more power that it could handle.

Here are the specs for the computer. I know it is only 25 dollars but is it worth my time and money to buy this stuff?

click here

Ian in Northampton 14:22 29 Jul 2014

In my opinion, the parts in a 7 year old computer are likely to be all but worthless. Plus, if, as you say, it's a Dell, then many of them are likely to be custom parts (in my experience with Dells, they're much harder to upgrade than a standard, off the shelf grey box PC). Personally, I'd keep my $25 in my pocket - as good a deal as it may seem.

Ian in Northampton 14:23 29 Jul 2014

... although what I would say is that, for a working PC, $25 isn't a bad price to pay for a second machine to keep you up and running - even in a limited fashion - if your primary PC falls over, for whatever reason.

wee eddie 14:27 29 Jul 2014

Probably no OS, so you'd have to install Linux

spuds 16:02 29 Jul 2014
Answer

Over the years I have purchased quite a number of computer and computer related kit, mainly from auction houses, usually in bulk. I was either able to make use or sell on quickly, usually recovering any costs.

I have just put 'Dell Precision 390 Workstation' into a UK Ebay search, and quite a number of listings came up for this particular model, including some from the USA. A refurbished unit complete with W7 64bit sells for about £129.99 including free postage here in the UK.

cjkoers 16:46 29 Jul 2014

Thanks for the responses everyone. The computer does have windows XP installed and ready to go. I am currently looking on Ebay at a few similar computers are selling. There are some advertised but not many bidders.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?