Should I build or buy a PC

T_Hutch 19:21 03 Mar 2010

Hi.

I recently took part in a film project and put many hours into recording footage. When i came to edit and render I found that my laptop was inadequate and produced a laggy/choppy video. However, I am still keen to carry on this hobby and the most obvious solution is to get a desktop. I am on a budget and dont plan on going pro soon so I dont need top specs. I would like to be able to use windows 7, but plan on only using this pc for storage and editing. I already have a nice lcd hd screen so would prefer a graphics card with a hdmi out. I am unsure whether to build from scratch, buy an old pc and replace parts, or to buy a brand new pc. Any prievious experiences or advice is welcome.

Cheers, Tom

MAT ALAN 19:24 03 Mar 2010

click here
build, quite cheap too...

jack 20:06 03 Mar 2010

Cheaper than building your own
But if you can afford it building one and to get is working gives great satisfaction in addition to being the specification you want rather than a ready made compromise.
One place to start looking is click here
Wher 'bare bones boxes, MoBo/CPU/Memory units abound
with all the other bits you need.

T_Hutch 20:59 03 Mar 2010

Thanks for the link Mat- made me chuckle. And those bare bones boxes look tempting Jack.

MAT ALAN 21:08 03 Mar 2010

what sort of budget are you looking at, knowing how much you are willing to spend will help...

sunnystaines 21:47 03 Mar 2010

more fun building your own pc, you learn a lot, and you have your own windows cd instead of a recovery partition, the pc is taylor made to just how you want it.

i use a ATI 4350 Graphics card connected via hdmi lead which supply's both sound and graphics, the card was recommended to me by forum readers also has a heat sink so no worries re graphics fan noise.[no suitable for gaming but ok for video etc]

Proclaimer 11:03 04 Mar 2010

BFG GeForce GTX 285 OCX 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card (The CUDA architecture helps speed up the coding) click here

Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail (for the longer warranty and ease of over clocking)

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard

Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - (Tall with plenty fans.)

OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000MHz PC3-16000C10 Low-Voltage Triple Channel

Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler (Socket 940/AM2/LGA775/LGA1366) (for over clocking the CPU to 3.6ghz)

2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM or any other drive really, but I would wish for Solid State Drives.

Samsung SH-S223L/RSMN 22x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe ReWriter for quick DL DVD Writing.

That lot could be got for just under £1000.00 so Win7 could be added to it to keep it close to the £1000.00 mark.

T_Hutch 11:16 04 Mar 2010

Unfortunately, as exciting that last system sounds, I was thinking more of a budget of £500-600 to set up intially and then put some money into upgrading every so often. I like the look of Cyberpower and Arbico builds, but will keep my eye out for a good base system on ebay.

MAT ALAN 11:43 04 Mar 2010

I bought from Arbico about 7 years ago still going strong, if i had the money it would be my first choice.
As soon as i had placed my order i received a phone call from them asking me if everything was OK did i want a diferent colour tower some other stuff and if there was anything wrong to not to hesitate to contact them...

gengiscant 12:06 04 Mar 2010

Whether it makes economic sense to build is doubtful, but it is a lot of fun,I love the research into components, the pricing, the construction and yes even the problem solving when things do go as planned.
My last build cost far to much but its a good one and even though I was at times pulling my hair out with BSOD'S and RAM compatibility,overall I loved the whole experience.

There are certainly some good PC's out there in your price range ready built but once you build your first PC and its exactly how you want it,I don't think you'll ever buy a pre built PC again.

sarahg123 16:31 05 Mar 2010

Try Goldenelectronis web site for composing your own PC to your spec. It gives you a good range of graphics cards etc and reasonable prices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017