Should I Bridge?

dms05 13:27 23 Jan 2006

I look after a Home Wireless Network. It comprises of an Actiontec WiFi Gateway ADSL Router attached direct to a Dell Desktop, a Toshiba Access Point Ethernet connected to the Actiontec and another Dell Desktop that WiFi's to the Toshiba AP. We also have 2 laptops that roam happily between the AP's on Ch1 and Ch10. We have 2 AP's because our property is old and large and the Actiontec kit wouldn't cover the whole house. The system works without a hitch.

I'd like your opinion on replacing the WiFi'd Dell USB Stick with an AP and bridging to the Toshiba AP. Could I make this a more secure WiFi link (VPN?) than just using the existing USB Stick. If I did bridge would that stop the laptops using the Toshiba AP as they can currently?

Any comments?

mgmcc 13:57 23 Jan 2006

<<< I'd like your opinion on replacing the WiFi'd Dell USB Stick with an AP and bridging to the Toshiba AP >>>

If you replace the USB WiFi Adapter (which accesses the network via the Toshiba Wireless Access Point) with another Wireless Access Point, how is it going to communicate with the network because two Wireless Access Points are not going to talk to one another?

You can bridge two network adapters in the PC so that two networks can communicate, but how are you going to bridge the two W.A.Ps. and to what purpose?

dms05 14:05 23 Jan 2006

Thanks mgmcc. Just shows how much I have to learn! I've access to a commercial WiFi network where my laptop connects by ethernet to an AP and that Bridges to a WLAN AP. I was trying to work out if something similar might be applicable to my home WiFi!

ade.h 16:48 23 Jan 2006

As long as you have taken care of the usual security precautions (WPA, unique SSID, passworded config page) you should be snug as a bug.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?