Should I be able to see Adminitrator's Documents?

Batch 12:59 21 Mar 2006

I have two PCs. One running XP-SP2 Pro, the other running XP-SP2 Home.

On the one running XP-SP2 Pro, when logged in as Bill (or as Administrator), listed directly under My Computer, I can see:

- Shared Documents
- Bill's Documents
- Administrator's Documents

On the one running XP-SP2 Home, when logged in as Bill (I haven't booted in to Safe Mode to get at Administrator), listed directly under My Computer, I can see:

- Shared Documents
- Bill's Documents

I.e., in the latter case, I can't see the Administrator's documents. Which is correct (or are they both correct, given different OS)? BTW Bill has Admin privileges on both machines.

If one of them isn't correct (I'd guess the Pro version), what do I need to do to correct this?

Batch 13:05 21 Mar 2006

BTW, neither Bill's nor Administrator's folder is set up for sharing, whereas, of course, Shared Documents is.

ACOLYTE 14:07 21 Mar 2006

I had this one time logged in on my account,i could see the admin account doc's folder,i think it was because i logged on to the other account to do some housekeeping,as there is only me use the PC i didn't worry about it,have you used the other admin account lately on the XPPro pc?

BTW i run XP Home.

Batch 14:17 21 Mar 2006

It's the same regardless of whether I'm logged in to both accounts simultaneously or only one at any one time.

ade.h 15:18 21 Mar 2006

XP pro treats the Admin account a little differently. On desktop and lappy I use the Admin account exclusively, with no others created, because it is enabled by default unless the system builder has set it up in the style of XP Home, with Admin only available in Safe Mode. In Home, you have to change it in User Accounts to be able to use it from the normal Welcome Screen.

What you have described is normal behaviour.

Batch 17:59 21 Mar 2006

Are you sure that you can set up XP Home so that you can access Administrator other than in Safe Mode?

I can't see any reference to it (it doesn't appear in User Accounts) and my reference tome (Windows XP Inside Out) is quite clear that you have to use Safe Mode with XP Home.

ade.h 18:12 21 Mar 2006

On the family PC, which uses XP Home, it's available. Obviously, it's well passworded so the little ones can't use it!

iceman1970 19:08 21 Mar 2006

Is your hard drive formated with Fat32 or NTFS? if your hard drive is formated with Fat32 your files can't be kept private.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?