Should Device Manager list your printer?

Charlie Babbage 23:03 17 Sep 2005

I'm getting confused and frustrated! I have a Hewlett Packard Deskjet 843c printer that won't print. I contacted HP by email and they sent me the latest driver. I installed this and first time round managed to get the printer to print.

Now its dead again and I can't get it to go! Device Manager does not list any printer. Control Panel > Printers and Faxes lists HP 843c as the default printer but when I select 'Properties'and 'Print test page' nothing comes out.

I've tried deleting the printer entirely and tried to get Windows XP to automatically detect the printer as new hardware but it does not seem to be able to do this. I've also tried Control Panel > Add New hardware without success. I do have the original printer setup disc but Windows XP cannot read it!!

I've checked that the printer is online, has paper and that the cable is securely attached both ends. I have also restated the computer several times. I have just installed a webcam but Device Manager does not show any system conflicts.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

woodchip 23:06 17 Sep 2005

no only the port, to find your printer go to Start\Settings\Printers

VoG II 23:08 17 Sep 2005

Try click here and make sure that you unplug the printer first.

woodchip 23:09 17 Sep 2005

PS if after removing the printer by deleting it and the computer does not pick it up, the printer as to be switched on for computer to see it whe you restart comp. if it does not then only thing you can check are the cables power and data

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?