Shortcuts problem

ericmax 00:53 26 Jul 2003

this has only just started happening and it has me stumped,i have shortcuts on my desktop for the cd and floppy drives but when i click on them i get the following message
"the item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut will no longer work properly" i have deleted and remade the shortcuts but the same thing happens,tried system restore no luck with that either,it is only happening with these two shortcuts.
has anybody got any ideas,cheers for any help.

exodus 01:41 26 Jul 2003

Shortcuts will often show this when the drive is empty. Try with a disc in the drive to see if it makes any difference.

ericmax 10:06 26 Jul 2003

thanks for the idea exodus but the shortcuts do not work disc or not.

check the properties of the shortcuts and make sure that the target is the drive not a file ie. A:\ not A:\mydisk\myfile.doc

ericmax 12:28 26 Jul 2003

did what you suggested horiz5 but the target for the D drive is D:\ which i think is correct,
thanks for the idea anyway.

powerless 12:30 26 Jul 2003

Remove the devices from Device Manager.

Reboot.

Then go to my computer > Right click and choose create shortcut. (for both)

Wak 13:46 26 Jul 2003

Just a thought but wouldn't the actual path be MY COMPUTER\A:\ or MY COMPUTER\D:\ ????
Normally shortcuts are for programs which reside in C:\ and the above two items do not reside in C:\

Seicento 16:15 26 Jul 2003

It doesn't help you much I'm afraid, but this has just happened to me too (yesterday) with shortcuts for my zip drive and camera.

Only thing I've done in the last couple of days is download Windows updates.

ericmax 00:13 27 Jul 2003

tried what you suggested Powerless,i deleted both items and they were no longer in my computer,they
were both found on reboot so i made new shortcuts
and guess what the shortcuts still do not work.
i also tried your suggestion Wak but still no luck
the saga continues

Steven135 01:37 27 Jul 2003

Interesting I have just tried my shortcuts exactly the same problem on a new computer with a fresh install of XP Pro.

Recently installed latest updates from the windows site including DirectX 9b

When I insert a disk the icon changes to show what's loaded but nothing else works same message as ericmax.

Tried suggested solutions same results!
I'll watch this thread with interest

Steven135 02:05 27 Jul 2003

ericmax: Have you recently installed the new microsoft powertoys?

I ask because I have and wondered if this may be the cause.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017