Shortcut for "Standy By" in XP

twitcher 14:09 12 May 2003

On page 9 of the latest edition of PC Advisor Tips and Tricks are instructions for creating desktop shortcuts for shutting down and rebooting Windows XP. Is there a shortcut for putting the computer into “Stand By” mode?

Having successfully set up the two shortcuts, I found the icon for “Turn Off” but can anybody tell me where I can find the icons for “Stand By” and “Restart”?

spikeychris 14:15 12 May 2003

There probably is but if you click here you can download shutdown.exe that will do the job.

Chris

spikeychris 14:19 12 May 2003

Not what you want is it ;o) its a command prompt..

spikeychris 14:22 12 May 2003

Theres the option of going to Control Panel - Power Options, Advanced and select 'When I
press the power button on the computer'
"Standby"

©®@$ђ 14:36 12 May 2003
  twitcher 18:05 12 May 2003

I downloaded the recommended "Shutdown.exe" program which promises that it show how to put the computer into "Stand By (Sleep)" mode. I followed the "Short instructions for novice users" paragraph and obtained the information on supported switches. Perhaps I am missing something but, although there are prompts of "s = shutdown" and "r = restart" shown, I could find one for "Stand By". Where am I going wrong?

spikeychris 18:09 12 May 2003

-s -> Stand By (Sleep).

spikeychris 18:11 12 May 2003

Supported switches:

-l -> Log Off.

-u -> Shutdown (Turn Off).

-r -> Restart.

-h -> Hibernate.

-s -> Stand By (Sleep).

-f -> Force the action.

-c -> Cancel a running shutdown.

-t sec -> Delay for number of seconds

click here

Chris

twitcher 22:07 12 May 2003

Chris

I’m confused. The advice in PC Adviser Tips & Tricks gave the following shortcut entry for closing down XP:- %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00. I have set this up and it works. However the “Shutdown.exe” site gives the “-s” switch for “Stand By (Sleep)” mode. It gives the “-u” switch for “Shutdown (Turn Off)” but I have tried this, thinking it might be the “Stand By” switch shown in error, but it doesn’t work. HELP!!!

graham√ 22:22 12 May 2003

Have you got a 'moon' key, top right on your keyboard?

graham√ 22:23 12 May 2003

Sorry, top left. ( My doctor told me this would happen).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?