Shortcut for "Standy By" in XP

twitcher 14:09 12 May 2003

On page 9 of the latest edition of PC Advisor Tips and Tricks are instructions for creating desktop shortcuts for shutting down and rebooting Windows XP. Is there a shortcut for putting the computer into “Stand By” mode?

Having successfully set up the two shortcuts, I found the icon for “Turn Off” but can anybody tell me where I can find the icons for “Stand By” and “Restart”?

spikeychris 14:15 12 May 2003

There probably is but if you click here you can download shutdown.exe that will do the job.

Chris

spikeychris 14:19 12 May 2003

Not what you want is it ;o) its a command prompt..

spikeychris 14:22 12 May 2003

Theres the option of going to Control Panel - Power Options, Advanced and select 'When I
press the power button on the computer'
"Standby"

©®@$ђ 14:36 12 May 2003
  twitcher 18:05 12 May 2003

I downloaded the recommended "Shutdown.exe" program which promises that it show how to put the computer into "Stand By (Sleep)" mode. I followed the "Short instructions for novice users" paragraph and obtained the information on supported switches. Perhaps I am missing something but, although there are prompts of "s = shutdown" and "r = restart" shown, I could find one for "Stand By". Where am I going wrong?

spikeychris 18:09 12 May 2003

-s -> Stand By (Sleep).

spikeychris 18:11 12 May 2003

Supported switches:

-l -> Log Off.

-u -> Shutdown (Turn Off).

-r -> Restart.

-h -> Hibernate.

-s -> Stand By (Sleep).

-f -> Force the action.

-c -> Cancel a running shutdown.

-t sec -> Delay for number of seconds

click here

Chris

twitcher 22:07 12 May 2003

Chris

I’m confused. The advice in PC Adviser Tips & Tricks gave the following shortcut entry for closing down XP:- %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00. I have set this up and it works. However the “Shutdown.exe” site gives the “-s” switch for “Stand By (Sleep)” mode. It gives the “-u” switch for “Shutdown (Turn Off)” but I have tried this, thinking it might be the “Stand By” switch shown in error, but it doesn’t work. HELP!!!

graham√ 22:22 12 May 2003

Have you got a 'moon' key, top right on your keyboard?

graham√ 22:23 12 May 2003

Sorry, top left. ( My doctor told me this would happen).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone