Shortcut on the Desktop problem.

pj123 14:22 23 Mar 2006

Running Win98SE

As with many others, I have on my Desktop shortcut icons for my most commonly used programs: (word, excel, publisher, access, paint shop pro etc.)

All working fine, no problems at all.

I run a Lottery Syndicate and have written a Lottery Checker in Excel, also working fine.

The problem: The Lottery checker file is on my desktop as a shortcut and was working OK until a couple of weeks ago. When I double clicked it I got:

“The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the MS Office Professional 2000 disk and click OK”

Assuming something had gone wrong with the Office setup I put the CD in and followed the prompts and it all seemed OK again. But when I tried to check yesterdays lottery I get the same message again.

If I run Excel first and then open the file from there it opens with no problem, it’s only when I try to double click the shortcut on the Desktop that I get the error.

I have checked the Properties of the shortcut and it is pointing to the right location.

I tried placing another excel file on the desktop as a shortcut and the same thing happens. I also tried putting a Word doc on the desktop as a shortcut and got the same error from that although I can open the document in Word no problem.

The same thing happens if I try to run the file from Windows Explorer. It only seems to work OK if I open it in the application it was done in.

VoG II 14:29 23 Mar 2006

In Excel, Tools/Options, General tab. Check that 'Ignore other applications' is NOT ticked.

pj123 15:00 23 Mar 2006

Thanks VoG™, checked that and the only tick I have in there is "Recently used file list".

pj123 15:08 23 Mar 2006

Just tried again but this time when it asked for the Office 2000 CD I put it in and clicked OK and it opened the file. Took the CD out and tried again and the file opened OK tried some others and they all open OK. Maybe I should reinstall MS Office again from scratch??

VoG II 15:38 23 Mar 2006

Or try Detect and Repair on the Help menu.

pj123 11:30 24 Mar 2006

I did a reinstall from the Office CD. All seems to be OK now.

Will tick as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists and their beautiful posters for WCRS' Pride in London campaign

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?