Short on testing old MB

Catastrophe 11:44 03 Jul 2010

From my other thread I need a standard socket 478 retention bracket to mount heatsink/fan.
[Thank you MAT ALAN :) ]

I found one on an old Gigabyte P4 Titan GA-8KNXP board so I decided to check the board before risking possible damage removing retention bracket.

I added suitable (old) CPU and borrowed a suitable memory from another PC (mine). The MB was resting on cardboard.

On connecting old PSU I saw the fan turn on the Titan module. Then there was a loud CRACK.

On re-powering, this fan no longer turns and there is no sign of life but no burning smell.
The PSU does seem to have developed a rattle which I don't think was there before.
Returning the borrowed memory results in Belarc finding it so I guess it is undamaged.

Two questions please.

1. Any idea what might have caused the short?
I want to avoid any damage on further testing other items.

2. Any tips on removing retention bracket without damaging MB?

Any comments gratefully appreciated.

:)

woodchip 11:54 03 Jul 2010

For a crack like you describe, I would say 230volts bang inside PSU you would see the burn marks if on the board etc or it could be a capacitor that's blown

Catastrophe 12:08 03 Jul 2010

Thank you wodchip. The board seems absolutely immaculate, checking especially around the power connectors.

I have just bought on eBay a suitable 450w PSU, for GBP10.49 delivered, to replace my 'test' PSU so will try again when this arrives.

Incidentally there are more available (it says) if anyone is looking for a cheap PSU.

:)

Catastrophe 12:12 03 Jul 2010

woodchip - apologies for the spelling typo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?