Shift key Text Selection Irritant

cognition 16:04 25 Jun 2003

I use a Winbook Si2 notebook computer with Windows 98. I have had a huge irritant for some time with the machine and hope someone here can assist. It works fine for the most part, but often (not always), when I depress the shift key, the machine will highlight odd text- ranging from one letter to whole paragraphs - and when I strike the next key, that block is deleted. In Word, I can recover the text. However, it is a huge problem in e-mail or in forms such as this one, where I have no ability to recover deleted items. It is erratic, in that it doesn't always do this. Also, when it is acting up badly, I can often strike the shift very quickly and it will work properly, although if I hold the key down for any length of time, the cursor goes wild and dances about, selecting first one set of text and then another.

I suspect a bad capacitor, diode or some such electronic cause, but hope it is software related.

Thank you.

Agent Smith 16:47 25 Jun 2003

I'm not totally au fait with notebooks but the principle is the same. I suspect that maybe you have some detritus causing problems on your keyboard. You may have sticking keys. The shift key when used in conjunction with the mouse, as you're probably aware, is used to select various bits of text and if you have dirt or something causing your mouse key to become activated erroneously then this may be the problem.

woodchip 16:55 25 Jun 2003

Put your Win98 CD in the Comp and go to Start/Run type SFC and click run. it will check for corrupt files or if you adjust the settings it will also look for deleted files

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone