shell32.dll error

User-93B9B20E-2BF4-4EF1-82F20608231F9F1C 23:33 06 Oct 2004

When i tried to have a butchers at the settings of my geForce 4mx graphics I got a "Critical Error" msg. and then was not able to adjust anything because when the adjustments window opened it was blank. On closing the msg
"shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\System32\desk.cpl",Display" appeared. According to the display cards properties (Device manager) its running ok so I presume a Windows problem. XP service pack 2 made no difference and I cant see any problems yet apart from a couple of unexpected and unexplained freezes and a little more flicker than usual. (but that could be because I'm looking for problems).
Is it serious and how to fix - Anyone.
Cheers k

stalion 23:37 06 Oct 2004

download the dll from here in case yours is corrupt and put it in your windows system file
click here

one thing leads to another - while looking around for fixes for the shell.dll I thought I would try the above fixer - Wish I hadnt and cant get rid of it. Help.
I am downloading the recommended shell file but would like to sort this THING first

k

stalion 12:20 07 Oct 2004

can you specify exactly regarding the above are you talking about sp2? if so you should be able to remove it in add and remove programs

I couldnt remove the PC_Fixer thing (PC_MightyMax) that I downloaded to try and find the problem, only after installing it again 'on top' could I remove it with add remove progs. Previously on tring to uninstall I just got error msgs. saying 'unable to uninstall'. Also, unexpected shutdowns if I used system restore. thats ok now hopefully.
I dont think it has anything to do with XP service pack 2 as I had the problem before I installed that and the only obvious sign of the missing file is the start menu freezes and the cursor gets a little jumpy when I have a few docs open.

I have got the missing file and the instruction just to unzip into my system file. So just to be clear is that system32 - to replace the file of that name (shell32.dll)in system32. I also have a missing mscoree.dll which I beleive should go in ths same system file is it?
The shell32.dll file unzipped in a folder in myDocs is 1.32MB whereas the file in system32 is only 7.99MB. I tried to paste it in but was told it could not be done as it was already being used, is that why it needs to be unzipped into the folder.
I gave up plumbing to use pcs, but it appears I now have to learn how to plumb these in a little as well.
thanks k

stalion 20:13 07 Oct 2004

you need mscoree it is a necessary windows file,yes they go in system32
click here

I have imstalled the mscoree.dll and Norton Sys. Works. now gives that a clean bill of health but doesnt pick up the "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\WINDOWS\System32\desk.cpl",Display" error. I have downloaded the "shell32" file and could replace the existing file by unzipping into systen32. (I presume I should overwrite the exising file) But if I compare the file with the same on my new pc they both are 7.99MB whereas the new one is 1.32MB(dll-files.com). I dont understand the difference in size. and can accept the new file is correct but cannot see why an identically sized file (to the potentially damaged one) on my new install is correct. So before I start changing anything and following a false trail should I possibly look elsewhere.
thanks k

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?