Sharing printers between XP and Vista

thewasp 14:23 15 Jan 2008

I am trying to share a printer between an XP desktop and Vista laptop.

The laptop installed the drivers ok and now the printer is on the options when selecting print.

When sending the file to print, nothing happens at the printer - could it be Vista incompatibility?

SANTOS7 14:36 15 Jan 2008

click here

vista does not allow simple file sharing by default ,the link may help...

SANTOS7 14:39 15 Jan 2008

Easier method,should work

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

thewasp 14:42 15 Jan 2008

Don't think that's the problem as when you go to print, the network printer is listed on the properties menu.

Newuser939 15:14 15 Jan 2008

I am sure that you will already have done it, but you do need to set the printer to sharing from the computer to which it is attached.

Pineman100 18:55 15 Jan 2008

We have the same kit as you - XP desktop and Vista laptop, networked through a wireless router. The two share an HP printer.

In our case, I use the XP machine to drive the printer, and the Vista machine accesses it via the network. It works fine.

thewasp 19:54 15 Jan 2008

Thanks.
Have done a bit more research and found someone else having a similar problem - apparantly the printer - HP G55 - is not compatible with Vista.
I would need to update the driver or install it as a network printer using an IP address although to be honest it sounds like a lot of hassle.

Pineman100 18:11 16 Jan 2008

I presume you've checked the HP website to make sure that there isn't a new Vista-compatible driver file available for download?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone