Sharing Printer

Kaacee 14:33 03 May 2009

I am having trouble getting a printer to work from a laptop via wireless.

Main PC is attached to printer via Ehernet cable works fine and is enabled sharing.

Laptop is also enabled and I can see the printer in control panel/printers and faxes.

When i try to print error message comes up "Communication not available" printer cannot communicate with computer try these solutions:
ensure printer is powered on...it is
ensure USB is connected....it is
ensure power cble is connected ...it is
restart computer.... i have

Both laptop and desktop are XP

Can any one help, I have tried almost all the suggested remedies including Windows and Cico Magic Box without success, now at wits end....

Sea Urchin 15:08 03 May 2009

If you wire the connection from the laptop does it print then?

Kaacee 20:36 03 May 2009

Yes Sea Urchin

woodchip 20:42 03 May 2009

Try running the Network Wizard with all Your Hardware turned on, create a disc when it prompts and use it on the other computer, it put just one file on the disc, put it in the other computer and double click the file

BRYNIT 20:43 03 May 2009

It could be the firewall on the main computer blocking the connection.

Kaacee 21:51 03 May 2009

Brynit...Tried connecting with both firewall and AV off still no joy

Kaacee 22:11 03 May 2009

Woodchip...Ran Network Wizard but when it asked me to insert CD it referred to drive [E] which is the printer ??? obviously, then it said no disk in drive ?????

Sea Urchin 22:19 03 May 2009

Drive [E] is the printer??? I don't think so.

Kaacee 22:27 03 May 2009

Sea Urchin...When I remove the USB lead from the printer, drive [E] disappears from "Devices with Removable Storage" in My Computer listing ...so that is why I assumed it was

Sea Urchin 22:33 03 May 2009

Devices with Removable Storage are CD/DVD drives, card readers and any other forms of removable disks etc.

Kaacee 14:14 04 May 2009

Baffled ???????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?