Sharing Outlook over network

wonderwill 13:29 06 Jan 2006

As a relative newcomer to home network - is it possible to use the main pc as the 'server' and access Outlook.exe from the other pc on the network. If I set up Outlook seperately it does not store all the emails and if they have been read on one, they do not appear on the other at a later date when the pc is switched on.

Also is it possible to use other programmes from the 'server' rather than load onto both?

Windows XP Professional os.

echolima 14:02 06 Jan 2006

Lets see if i can help.

What is it you exactly want to do ?

You want to set up a mail server on your pc ?

or you want to just access the outlook program from both pcs's ?

If its the latter then just install outlook on both pc's and setup the mail account on both pc's then you will be able to see your emails from both pc' s

not sure what you mean maybe you can elaborate a little further ?

mgmcc 14:08 06 Jan 2006

<<< is it possible to use the main pc as the 'server' and access Outlook.exe from the other pc on the network >>>

No, you can only run programs if they are actually installed in the *LOCAL* PC, even though you can open files located in the remote PC.

<<< If I set up Outlook seperately it does not store all the emails and if they have been read on one, they do not appear on the other at a later date when the pc is switched on. >>>

You could use a synchronisation program to keep Outlook's .PST files the same in both PCs. Have a look at "Allway Sync" - click here

Forum Editor 14:19 06 Jan 2006

is SynchPst, which was developed specifically for Outlook. I've set it up for several clients, and can confirm that it works very well.

click here for more information.

wonderwill 14:33 06 Jan 2006

will try the synchronising programme - many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone