Sharing mobile hotspot with home network through PC

gurtak 15:56 06 Feb 2014

I have my home network set up and it works fine. It's a simple setup of router and Homeplug devices (one of which is wifi). To this I connect my PC, laptop, console and Vita. I use media sharing and Remote Play.

I am allowed to tether my mobile and share it's internet connection. Since I rarely use internet at home (apart from on my mobile) I don't have a broadband connection and instead tether my PC when needed. However occasionally it would be useful to be able to share the phone's internet connection with all other devices on the network (updating consoles etc) without having to disconnect them from the LAN and specifically tether to my mobile.

I tried to bridge the wifi and LAN connection on my PC in order to enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and route Internet bound traffic from the LAN devices through to the mobile Hotspot. But it looks like that conflicited with the DHCP setting on the Homeplugs. No matter how much I tried every setup guide it never quite worked. Often I would think it had, then I'd find out something had broken somewhere.

image map

Can anyone look at this rough map of what I hope to do, and tell me what the best approach is? I'm not a techie noob but apparently this is beyond me :-(

Is it possible with Win7? Is the problem having the router there? It seems like the Homeplugs, Mobile Hotspot and router are assigning IP addresses. Can that all work together?

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?