sharing a landline for PC

firebirdb 18:43 27 Apr 2014

I am sharing a house using my own PC, will I be protected by the house owners own "Norton Security" or does each PC have to have separate security, (we use the same telephone line and router )

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:03 27 Apr 2014

There will be a firewll in the router.

but you need to have antivirus and antimalware on the Pc + use windows own firewall in using vista 7 or 8.

What do you currently use on your PC?

There are free Av out there such as avast

Malwarebytes is a free antimalware

download only from the softwares own site or Filehippo as other sites such as cnet often package crap with the download.

spuds 19:48 27 Apr 2014

The 'security' that the same line will provide, is if the Internet Service Provider as some form of spam filter arrangement set in the system.

Best to use your own protection, including those suggested by Fruit Bat.

Are you using wireless or cable connection from the 'dual use' router?.

bumpkin 20:08 27 Apr 2014

"will I be protected by the house owners own "Norton Security" No you will need your own.

firebirdb 12:22 28 Apr 2014

I think I will take the suggestion from Fruitbat, but thanks everyone.

An interestig fact was that Mcafe wanted me to pay £69 pounds for my own PC renewal....but I found (and told them) I could buy the same protection from Amazon for £29 ????

xania 14:05 28 Apr 2014

Norton cheaper - £19 for 3 PC's on Ebay or £24 from WH Smith

compumac 09:24 29 Apr 2014

firebird I think you will find that the security programmes all charge more for renewal that buying the product afresh each year. I believe that they just rely on peoples ignorance of the fact and cash in on it.

spuds 10:33 29 Apr 2014

Norton Security would also depend on how many users from one package deal or offer perhaps?.

bumpkin 13:24 29 Apr 2014

You could ask the house owner whether their version of Norton can be used on additional PC's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?