Sharing the internet via Cross Over

jcotton 12:50 07 Jun 2006

Hi all,

I have setup a mini network between my machine and my laptop by using a cross over cable.

Everthing works and its great as I can transfer files across etc etc.

However how do I get the laptop to pick up the internet connection from my main machine?

Cheers

mgmcc 13:24 07 Jun 2006

You need to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" in the PC that has the actual internet connection. How you do this depends on the version of Windows that it is running.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection in the “host” PC, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The “client” PC’s Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the “host”. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?