SHARING INTERNET CONNECTIONS

Kool_Pete 18:29 29 Jun 2003

Hi,
I have two comuters and one phone line/nuber. I was wondering if there is an easy way where I can have them both on the internet (They don't have to be on the internet at the smae time). Will a telephone socket doubler do the trick? what will?

recap 18:46 29 Jun 2003

If you only have one telephone line then when you are on the Internet the phone is not on. There are utilities that will alert you when the phone rings.

To network your PC's click here.

keith-236785 20:00 29 Jun 2003

a telephone doubler will allow you to connect both computers BUT NOT AT THE SAME TIME, to do that you would have to NETWORK the computers.

if you have one computer connected and the other tries to dial it would not get a dial tone.

you would need triple connector if you want to have your phone plugged in as well.

dont forget though there is a limit on the number of items you can connect to a single phone line (i think its 4)

mammak 20:37 29 Jun 2003

Kool_Pete, i am the same as you both can connect, mine,s is in the lounge, with a 3 point connector, only a £1 0r 2 one for my pc, and house telephone, my little girls is in her bedroom, and connect,s at differnt times but leads through to the lounge with an extension cable about 20 ft long,

Kool_Pete 20:54 29 Jun 2003

HI,
THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE. WHY CAN' BOTH CONNECT TO MY ISP AT ONCE SINCE THEYRE CALLING THE SAME NUMBER.
MANY THANKS,
PETE

keith-236785 05:19 30 Jun 2003

each pc would need a dialing tone to be able to dial the isp, once one is connected, the other would get the engaged signal.

only way to have both connected is by a small network.

DieSse 10:33 30 Jun 2003

"WHY CAN' BOTH CONNECT TO MY ISP AT ONCE SINCE THEYRE CALLING THE SAME NUMBER"

That's a bit like saying, someones on the 'phone, why can't I pick up another 'phone and dial a number - You can't because the line is in use - and that's how telephone lines work.

As has been said - you can do it if you connect the computers together, as a network, and get access through one modem only. Though on a dial-up line, it would be somewhat slow if both computers were getting data at the same time.

Kool_Pete 19:30 30 Jun 2003

Hi,
If you have two phones on one number one can dail a number and the other can 'listen in' can't computers do that?
Pete

mammak 21:35 30 Jun 2003

No you cant, if say your lounge phone dailed the internet, and then say someone picked up another phone in say your kitchen, you would an awful hissing sound ie: the internet sound, as you say it would be listening in but that is what you would get, if your on the net now go pick up your phone and listen in !! it,s not possible to get two comp,s connecetd to the net unless you network them,on one phone line that is, you would inother word,s have too get your exchange to set you up with another phoneline ie: a second phone number, and set up an isp account for each phone number, on 56k dailup. that is unless you net work both pc,s, ps and as paperman27 said each single phone line can only take a rem of 4 phone,s the more you have hooked up will weaken your connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017