Sharing Internet connection

[email protected]!nt 20:56 06 May 2004

I have made a new user rofile for my brother on Windows XP, but instead of using my NTL Cable Broadband connection, it brings u a screen to register with BT Dial U, how do I make it so that he has the same connection?

imjasonurnot 21:52 06 May 2004

maybe bypass it by going to the control panel
then network connections
the creating a shortcut to your DSL connection

also in the control panel
internet options
check out the home page
some times it set to a windows files
and that brings up connection wiz's
change it to click here or whatever

or delete any bt icons

[email protected]!nt 22:21 06 May 2004

I have already tried the shortcut, but that doesnt work, and deleting BT icons wont work because they are only shortcuts.

When I am in the new user profile and i go to set up new internet connection i cant select my cable modem.

imjasonurnot 13:58 10 May 2004

thier is not option for a cable modem
choose the lan or local area connection
option.

SEASHANTY 16:43 10 May 2004

Sharing PC connections on NTL cable modem
click here
Note that all the items shown in the left hand panel take you to other links. The easiest way is to use a broadband 4 port router with switch connected to your cable modem with ethernet connection leads
from the router to both your PC and your brothers PC. This will allow independent internet working. A router such as the Linksys BEFSR41 or similar would be suitable click here

PSF 18:55 10 May 2004

In the control panel control panel click Network and Internet Conections.

Click Internet options/connection.
Delete the BT connetion from the dial up section
In the LAN section choose Automaticlay detect settings. See if that works.

Also in the Network and Internet Conections check that in the Network section make sure that the Loacal Area Conection (LAN) is enabled.

howard60 20:15 10 May 2004

I at present have ntl bb and use win xp internet connection sharing to connect 1 other pc using a crossover cable. It works very well - for detailed linstructions just come back and I will guide you.

[email protected]!nt 11:58 16 May 2004

I may have confused a few people, the other user profile is on the same PC, not another one.

PSF 18:58 16 May 2004

Does the second user profile have full administrator rights?

In the network section of the user have a look in the Network and Internet Connection section.

Click Internet options/connection. Then delete the BT dial-up, Then try running the internet set-up from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?