Sharing Files and Printers etc

Trepan 14:56 22 Jan 2009

If this is posted in the wrong place my apologies.

I am trying to set up a 'private' network at home between my PC and Laptop. The PC is in the study and connected to my Router via cable and the laptop utilises wireless.

The PC is running XP Home Edition with SP3 and the Laptop is running on Vista Home Premium. I have followed all the instructions contained in the 'Wizard' on the PC and also on the the laptop and whilst my PC and the shared printers and documents etc are viable on the LP every time I go to open up say a file containing pictures I get the following message "\\********\file name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network recourse. contact network admin of this server (**** in the above)to find out if you have permission. Not enough server storage to process this command"

When I then try to connect with the printers and again they are 'visible' on the Laptop I get the following "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error OxOOOOO46a)

So what am I doing wrong?

recap 11:41 23 Jan 2009

Check mcmgcc posting when you click here

Trepan 16:14 23 Jan 2009

Thanks 'recap' will try to fix the printers but what about the file sharing stuff? I have read a few posts and followed the instructions several times but to no avail - any help much appreciated.

Thanks again

T

dawood 16:58 23 Jan 2009

Check out this simple file sharing in XP click here article, maybe can help.

mgmcc 16:45 24 Jan 2009

<<<< Not enough server storage to process this command >>>>

That is a specific error message.

--------------------------------------------------

Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

Not enough memory to complete transaction. Close some applications and retry.

These error messages can indicate an incorrect IRPStackSize on the remote computer (the one you are trying to access over the network). In the remote computer, open the event log and check for event ID 2011. If this is present, it may indicate this particular issue. To repair it, you need to set the IRPStackSize parameter in the registry back to its default value of 15.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

Check for the presence of a value named IRPStackSize. If it doesn't exist, create it as type DWORD and, with base set to decimal, enter the value 15. Exit from the registry and reboot the computer.

Some AntiVirus programs are guilty of altering this setting and causing the problem. Also have a look at this Microsoft Knowledge Base article which applies to XP too:

Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011 (Q177078)
click here

Trepan 12:08 25 Jan 2009

Thanks MGMCC, the 'stack size' was set at 15 so I have increased it to 22 to see what happens. One thing that mystifies me is the fact that my Vista based laptop whilst it shows the host PC and the printers and files I want to share they do appear in under laptop name so my PC is abcd-123123 (example for this purpose only) I can 'see' that in the network map on the Laptop but under the laptop name which is zzb (again for this purpose only) I can only see those things that I want to share with my PC - no files or printers from my PC appear.

I have double checked everything and every time I try to 'Add a Printer' via the Vista wizard I get another error saying "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error OxOOOOO46a) Now this is annoying me but I think it might be something to do with printer drivers not being suitable Vista - or am I really up the creak minus a paddle!

mgmcc 13:32 25 Jan 2009

For instructions on installing a Network Printer in Vista, have a look at my posting in click here

Trepan 14:37 30 Jan 2009

Wow the advice has been fantastic all docs now sharing still have a problem with sharing a printer BUT that may be my fault in that I have duplicated the printer several times so I am going to delete (not share) them and start again.

I will be in touch if I am still in the creek....

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?