Sharing Files over a network

a beginner 21:21 18 Dec 2005

Hello again, I have recently tried my hand at wireless networking. I have a work laptop which I also used for personal use and I have now added a PC to the network. I now use my own PC for all personal computing. I would really like to transfer all my old pics etc over to my personal PC so they can be deleted from my work laptop. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I am using Windows XP on both machines. Thanks in advance.

mgmcc 22:04 18 Dec 2005

If both computers have a network adapter installed (and these days they usually do), you can connect them directly with a "crossover" network cable. XP's network setup wizard should take you through the configuration of it all.

a beginner 23:19 18 Dec 2005

Is this the same cable as plugs into one of the wired ports on my wireless router? Or do I need to purchase a new cable? Is it possible to share the files wirelessly? Cheers

mgmcc 23:22 18 Dec 2005

If you have a router, you just connect all computers to the router to network them - either "wired" or "wireless" connections.

Brylee 09:12 20 Dec 2005

If you are interested you may look into some remote access products like RemotePC. You can run any applications, access the entire desktop or even use any of the remote computer's network resources. Simply you will feel as if you are working on your remote computer itself.

click here

a beginner 18:56 20 Dec 2005

I think that the security settings on my work laptop must be preventing me from seeing the other computer?? It's tied down pretty tight. Perhaps I will just copy the files to CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?