Sharing files on a home network

Condom 09:56 21 Sep 2006

I have 2 computers both running XP Pro. Both computers have me as Administator. They are linked together with a network card.

My wife and I use both machines and we have separate passwords.

My problem is how do I get to read and change my files in MY Documents from the other computer.

I can easily read the files in my Shared Folders but when I try to read or look at files in My Documents on the other computer I am getting the message

"My documents is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied"

I'm lost can anyone help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:54 21 Sep 2006

You need to share the folder.

In my computer click the drive then the documents and settings for your name then right click your my documets folder, select sharing and security , share this folder.

Condom 08:03 24 Sep 2006

I tried what you suggested but it doesn't help. All the files which are listed under MY Documents are forbidden access to. I have no problem with any other files.

terryf 08:13 24 Sep 2006

Besides the sharing, have you also ticked 'allow network users to change my files'?

SpaceAce 14:39 24 Sep 2006

Could be a firwall issue. I had exactly the same problem after I installed Zone Alarm firewall. Once I added the IP addresses of our PC and the Laptop to each other's 'Trusted Sites', access and file sharing was restored.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?